Medium: Oil on panel
Size: 46 x 37.5 cm
Signed: lower-left: Norbert Goeneutte
Acquired by a Danish collector in France in the 1930s; thence by descent.
Authenticated by M. Duvivier, Curator at the Musée Tavet-Delacour.
Beginning his artistic career as a student of Isidore Pils at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Goeneutte left the studio upon Pils’ death, when it was taken over by Henri Lehmann, and moved to Montmartre to paint on his own. There the artist met Renoir, for whom he modelled on occasion, and Marcellin Desboutin, who sparked Goeneutte’s interest in engraving, etching and dry-point. Goeneutte first exhibited at the Salon in 1876 and continued to exhibit several pictures each year from then on. Though he was closely associated and even influenced by Manet, Renoir and Degas, Goeneutte never chose to show with the Impressionist group, preferring the official venue. He made trips to London in 1880, Rotterdam in 1887 and Venice in 1890, all of which provided new subjects for his landscape paintings and town views.
Goeneutte was a social realist like Raffaelli, an artist who did not embroider his portrayals of everyday life, which were as likely to include scenes from the lives of the working class as the haute-bourgeoisie.
In 1891 Goeneutte moved to Auvers-sur-Oise, where Dr. Paul Gachet had a studio in his home. The artist had worked with Gachet on a publication, La Renaissance littéraire et artistique, earlier in 1872 and again on the periodical Paris à l’eau forte, and in 1892 Goeneutte exhibited a portrait of his friend the Doctor. Goeneutte was an accomplished engraver, illustrating books, including La Terre by Emile Zola, published in 1899.